Joseph G. Ouslander, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Biomedical Science
Senior Associate Dean for Geriatric Programs
Chair, Department of Integrated Medical Science
Tel. (561) 297-0975
Fax (561) 297-2221
- BA, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD,1973
- MD, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1977
- Residency in Internal Medicine - Case Western Reserve, 1977 - 1980
- Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine - UCLA, 1980 - 82
- Board Certification - Internal Medicine, 1980; Geriatric Medicine, 2000
- Geriatric urinary incontinence and overactive bladder
- Quality of care for geriatric patients
- Geriatric falls
- Geriatric insomnia
- Associate Professor, UCLA Multicampus Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 1987 - 1995
- Medical Director, Director of Research and Education, Jewish Home for the Aging of Greater Los Angeles, 1987 - 1996
- Vice President of Medical Affairs, Jewish Home for the Aging of Greater Los Angeles, 1987 - 1996
- Associate Director, Borun Center for Gerontological Research, 1989 - 1996
- Professor of Medicine, UCLA Multicampus Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 1995 - 1996
- Chair, Professional Staff Strategic Committee, Wesley Woods Center of Emory University, 1996 - 2002
- Director, Atlanta VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Center, 1996 - 2001
- Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Emory School of Medicine, 1996 - 2008
- Professor of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, 1996 - 2008
- Vice President for Professional Services, Wesley Woods Center of Emory University, 1998 - 2001
- Professor of Nursing, Nell Hodgson School of Nursing, Emory University, 2000 - 2008
- Clinical Director, Atlanta VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Center, 2001 - 2002
- Chief Medical Officer, Wesley Woods Center of Emory University, 2001 - 2008
- Director, Emory Center for Health in Aging, 2001 - 2008
- Research Scientist, Birmingham/Atlanta VA GRECC, 2002 - 2008
- Clinical Consultant, the Georgia Medical Care Foundation (the Georgia Medicare QIO), 2006 - Pres
- Collaborator, Stein Gerontological Institute, Miami, Florida, 2006 - Pres
- Director, Institute for Quality Aging, Boca Raton Community Hospital, 2008 - Pres
- Courtesy Professor, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University, 2008 - Pres
- Voluntary Professor of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2008 - Pres
- Associate Director, Division of Gerontology & Geriatric Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2008 - Pres
- Consultant, Loring Institute for Research and Education at MorseLife, 2008 - Pres
Representative Peer Review Publications
- Selected from over 200 publications
- Johnson TM, Burridge A, Issa MM, Miller M, Tang T, Ouslander JG: The Relationship Between the Action of Arginine Vasopressin and Responsiveness to oral Desmopressin in Older men: A Pilot Study. JAGS. Volume 55:562-569, 2007.
- Rask K, Parmelee P, Taylor JA, Green, D, Brown H, Hawley, J, Schild, L, Strothers III HS, Ouslander JG: Implementation and Evaluation of a Fall Management Program. JAGS 55: 342-349, 2007.
- Gibbs CF, Johnson TM, Ouslander JG: Office Management of Geriatric Urinary Incontinence, The American Journal of Medicine 120, 211-220, 2007.
- Zarowitz BJ, Ouslander JG, The Application of Evidence-Based Principles of Care in Older Person (Issue 6): Urinary Incontinence. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:35-45, 2007.
- Taylor JA, Parmelee P, Brown H, Strothers III HS, Capezuti E, Ouslander JG: A Model Program for the Management of Falls in Long-Term Care Facilities. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:S26-S36, 2007.
- Ouslander JG: Quality Improvement Initiatives for Urinary Incontinence in Nursing Homes. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:S6-S11, 2007.
- Ouslander JG, Petry, G, and Besdine, RW: Quality Improvement in Nursing Homes: A Call to Action. J Amer Med Dir Assn 8:138-141, 2007.
- Ouslander JG, Connell BR, Bliwise DL, Endeshaw Y, Griffiths P, Schnelle J: A Non-Pharmacological Intervention to Improve Sleep in Nursing Home Patients: Results of a Controlled Clinical Trial. JAGS 54:38-47, 2006.
- Ouslander JG, Connell BR, Bliwise DL, Endeshaw Y, Griffiths P, Schnelle JF: A Nonpharmacological Intervention to Improve Sleep in Nursing Home Patients: Results of a Controlled Clinical Trial. JAGS 54:38-47, 2006.
- Schnelle JF, Ouslander JG, Simmons SF: Direct Observations of Nursing Home Care Quality: Does Care Change When Observed? J Amer Med Dir Assn 7:541-544, 2006.
- Johnson TM and Ouslander JG, The Newly Revised F-Tag 315 and Surveyor Guidance for Urinary Incontinence in Long-Term Care. J Amer Med Dir Assn 7:594-600, 2006.
- Ouslander JG, Griffiths PC, McConnell E, Riolo L, Kutner M, Schnelle J: Functional Incidental Training: A Randomized, Controlled, Crossover Trial in Veterans Affairs Nursing Homes. JAGS 53:1091-1100, 2005.
- Ouslander, JG, Griffiths PC, McConnell E, Riolo L, Kutner M, Schnelle J: Functional Incidental Training: Applicability and Feasibility in the Veterans Affairs Nursing Home Patient Population. JAMDA 2005; 6:121-127.
- Ouslander JG, Management of Overactive Bladder. N Engl J Med 350:8 786-799, 2004.
- Bliwise DL. Adelman, CL, Ouslander JG: Polysomnographic Correlates of Spontaneous Nocturnal Wetness Episodes in Incontinent Geriatric Patients. Sleep, 27:153-157, 2004.
- Greco KE, Deaton C, Kutner M, Schnelle JF, Ouslander JG: Psychoactive Medications and Sleep Quality in Nursing Home Patients. J Am Med Dir Assoc 5:223-227, 2004
- Endeshaw YW. Johnson TM. Kutner MH. Ouslander JG. Bliwise DL. Sleep-disordered breathing and nocturia in older adults. JAGS 52(6):957-60, 2004
- Alessi CA, Ouslander JG, Maldague S, et al.: Incidence and Costs of Acute Medical Conditions in Long-Stay Incontinent Nursing Homes Residents. JAMDA 4:S-5-S18, 2003.
- Schnelle JF, Kapur K, Alessi C, Osterweil, D,, Beck, JC, Al-Samarrai, N, and Ouslander, JG: Does an Exercise and Incontinence Intervention Save Healthcare Costs in a Nursing Home Population? JAGS 51:161-168, 2003.
- Kapasi ZF, Ouslander JG, Schnelle JF, Kutner M, Fahey, JL: Effects of an Exercise Intervention on Immunologic Parameters in Frail Elderly Nursing Home Residents. J Gerontol: Med Sci 58A:636-643, 2003.
- Johnson II TM, Miller M, Pillion DJ, Ouslander JG: Arginine Vasopressin and Nocturnal Polyuria in Older Adults with Frequent Nighttime Voiding. J Urol 170:480-484, 2003.
- Johnson II TM, Sands JM, Ouslander JG: A Prospective Evaluation of the Glomerular Filtration Rate in Older Adults with Frequent Nighttime Urination. J Urol 167: 146-150, 2002.
- Schnelle JF, Alessi CA, Simmons SF, Al-Samarrai N, Beck JC, Ouslander JG: Translating Clinical Research into Practice: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Exercise and Incontinence Care in Nursing Home Residents. JAGS 50:1476-1483, 2002.
- Ouslander JG, Al-Samarrai N, Schnelle JF: Prompted Voiding for Nighttime Incontinence in Nursing Homes: Is it Effective? JAGS 49:706-709, 2001.
- Johnson II TM, Ouslander JG, Uman GC, Schnelle JF: Urinary Incontinence Treatment Preferences in Long-Term Care. JAGS 49:710-718, 2001.
- Ouslander JG, Greendale GA, Uman G, et. al.: Effects of Oral Estrogen and Progestin on the Lower Urinary Tract among Female Nursing Home Residents. JAGS 49:803-807, 2001.
- Ouslander JG, Maloney C, Grasela TH, et al.: Implementation of a Nursing Home Urinary Incontinence Management Program with and without Tolterodine. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2:207-214, 2001.
- Ouslander JG, Johnson T, Nasr SZ, Schnelle J, Miller M: Atrial Natriuretic Peptide Levels in Geriatric Patients with Nocturia and Nursing Home Residents with Nighttime Incontinence. JAGS 47:1439-1444, 1999.
- Kane RL, Ouslander JG, Abrass I, Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics, 6th edition, 2008.
- Halter, J, Ouslander, J, Tinetti, M, et al (eds), Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 6th Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, (in press, 2008).
- Ouslander J, Osterweil D and Morley J: Medical Care in the Nursing Home. McGraw-Hill, New York, 2nd Edition, 1996.
- Yoshikawa T, Ouslander JG (eds): Infection Management for Geriatrics in Long-Term Care Facilities, 2nd edition, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2007 .
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa - John Hopkins University, 1973
- National Collegiate Athletic Association, Postgraduate Scholarship, 1973
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 1977
- National Institute on Aging/NIH Academic Award (Five Year Career Development Award), 1982 - 1987
- National Institute on Aging/NIH MERIT Award (Method to Extend Research in Time), 1990 - 1999
- American Journal of Nursing, 1997 Book of the year Award (for Medical Care in the Nursing Home), 1997
- President/Chairman of the Board, American Geriatrics Society, 1999 - 2001
- Polisher Award for Applied Gerontological Research, 2000
- National Institute on Aging Career Leadership Award, 2001 - 2005
- National Association for Continence Champion Award, 2003
- About the Center
- Specialized Training
- Professional Certification