Bernardo Reyes, MD., is a board-certified internist and geriatrician, he serves as Associate Director of the Geriatric and Palliative Rotations and Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science in the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University (FAU). In this role, Dr. Reyes oversees the learning experience of our Internal Medicine resident physicians. After finishing his Internal Medicine training, Dr. Reyes relocated to Boston where he joined the staff of Massachusetts General Hospital and became an Instructor at Harvard Medical School. During his tenure, he developed the first geriatric co-managed orthopedic service between MGH and Harvard Orthopedic Trauma programs to later becoming the first Charlotte Bloomberg Fellow in Geriatric Medicine and received formal training as a geriatrician. In the latest phase of his career, he worked as a staff geriatrician at Cleveland Clinic Florida before transitioning to his new role in FAU.
- 1999: M.D. Universidad de Zulia, Venezuela
- 2016-present: Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science and Associate Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Geriatrics/Palliative Care Rotation, Department of Integrated Medical Science, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- 2015-Present: Affiliated Assistant Professor, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- 2014-Present: Associate Staff, Cleveland Clinic- Department of Geriatrics, Weston, FL
- 2013-2014: Geriatric Medicine Fellow, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2012-2014: Attending Physician, Spaulding North End, Boston, MA
- 2011-2014: Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2011-2013: Staff Physician and Co-Director, Geriatric Inpatient Fracture Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2011-2014: Hospitalist, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2010-2011: Hospitalist, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 2007-2010: Categorical Internal Medicine Resident, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
Clinical Assistant Professor, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- 2004-2007: Research Scientist, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 2002-2004: Research Fellow, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 1999-2002: Rural Physician, Hospital San Jose, Venezuela
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Sheets NW, Reyes B, Emmett M, Dean S, Snelling B, Wingo MJ. Thoracolumbar burst fractures treated with the Verte-Span titanium cage. W V Med J. 2012 Nov-Dec;108(6):6-10.
Reyes BJ, Broce, M. Mildly Reduced EF predicts stroke among elderly patient undergoing surgery. West Virginia’s First Case. W V Med J. 2009
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Shelford DL, Reyes BJ. Induced Moderate Hypothermia for the Treatment of Severe Traumatic Head Injury: West Virginia’s First Case. W V Med J. 2009 May-Jun;105(3):10-2.
- Warwick T, Broce M, Reyes B Neurology consults in post CABG TIA Am J Med Qual
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Reyes BJ, Fischer R, Flaherty SK. Use of hinge craniotomy for cerebral decompression. Technical note. J Neurosurg. 2007 Sep;107(3):678-82. Cover of September Issue.
- Jami P, Smith P, Moningi S, Moningi V, Martin SA, Rosencrance G, Reyes BJ. Compliance with Joint National Committee 7 guidelines in hypertension management in a teaching institution. Am J Med Qual. 2007 Jul-Aug;22(4):251-8.
- Jubelirer SJ, Reyes B, Broce M, Elhabyan AK, Mimnagh K, Rosencrance JG, Warwick T, Emmett MK. Pharmacological Thromboembolic Prophylaxis for Medical Patients in a Tertiary Care, Teaching Community Hospital: Room for Improvement. W V Med J. 2008 Jan-Feb;104(1):10-4.
- Hallak O, Shams SA, Broce M, Lavigne PS, Lucas BD, Elhabyan AK, Reyes BJ. Similar Success Rates with Bivalirudin and Unfractionated Heparin in Bare-Metal Stent Implantation. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2007 May 17; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 17508239
- Hallak OK, Cubeddu RJ, Griffith RA, Reyes BJ. The Use of the D-STAT((R)) Dry Bandage for the Control of Vascular Access Site Bleeding: A Multicenter Experience in 376 Patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2007 Jul-Aug;30(4):593-600.
- Elhabyan A, Broce M, Rosencrance JG, Lucas BD, Nakker S, Reyes BJ. The quantitative immunoturbidimetric D-dimer method to rule out venous thromboembolism (VTE). W V Med J. 2007 Jan-Feb;103(1):22-5. 2006 Lipton JA, Broce M, Lucas D, Mimnagh K, Matthews A, Reyes B, Burdette J, Wagner GS, Warren SG. Comprehensive Hospital Care Improvement Strategies Reduce Time to Treatment in ST-Elevation Acute Myocardial Infarction. Crit Pathw Cardiol. 2006 Mar;5(1):29-33
- Elhabyan AK, Reyes BJ, Hallak O, Broce M, Rosencrance JG, Lucas BD, Fazal H. Subendocardial ischemia without coronary artery disease: is elevated left ventricular end diastolic pressure the culprit? Curr Med Res Opin. 2004 May;20(5):773-7.
View Pubmed Feed ⇉
- 2015-Present: Board of Directors, International Geriatric Fracture Society
- 2013-2014: Pneumonia Re-admission Committee, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2013-2014: Care Redesign Committee, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2011-2014: Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Research Committee, Partners Orthopedic Trauma
- 2004-2007: Osteoporosis & Arthritis Program Advisory Panel, West Virginia Bureau of Public Health
- 2003-2004: Institutional Review Board, West Virginia University
Honors and Prizes
- 2014: Partners Excellence Award (Pneumonia Readmission Team), Partners in Healthcare Inc.
- 2014: Harold Amos Faculty Diversity Award (Nominee), Harvard Medical School
- 2013: Charlotte R Bloomberg Fellow in Geriatric Medicine, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- 2012: Partners Excellence Award (Geriatric Inpatient Fracture Service), Partners in Healthcare Inc.
- 2010: Best Poster Trainee Competition, American Geriatric Society
- 2004: Cardiovascular Young Investigator Award, Astra Zeneca