Mandi Sehgal, MD, Associate Professor of Geriatric Medicine, is a board certified Geriatrician and Family Medicine Physician. Her roles at the FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine include Director for the Geriatrics Thread and Associate Director for the M3 Geriatrics and Palliative Care Clerkship. The Geriatrics Thread encompasses all of the geriatrics-focused educational offerings throughout the four years of undergraduate medical education, and the clerkship provides geriatric and palliative care focused clinical experiences to third year medical students. Dr. Sehgal is a recent transplant to South Florida, having relocated from Kansas City. Dr. Sehgal is a champion of providing the best quality of life for her older adult patients while maintaining their safety and independence. She has an academic passion for designing, implementing and evaluating geriatrics-focused educational curriculum for all learners and believes it is her privilege to work with the vibrant older adult community. She has been the recipient of several teaching awards and has been named a “Top Doc” in her field.
Dr. Sehgal sees patients 18 years of age and older with FAU internal medicine residents at the FAU Medicine Clinic at Boca Raton Regional Hospital. Please call 561-955-2570 for an appointment.
Click here for more information about FAU clinics.
- 1997: B.S., Cum Laude, Biological Sciences, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL
- 2001: M.D. University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, AL
- 2001-2004: Residency at Tallahasse Memorial Family Practice Residency Program, Tallahassee, FL
- 2004-2005: Geriatrics Fellowship, University of Cincinniati, Cincinnati, OH
- 2006-2007: Education Fellowship, Faculty Development Fellowship, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- 2018(anticipated): Training Certificate in Curriculum Design Training Certificate Curriculum Design, Implementation and Evaluation, University of Cincinnati/ Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- 2015-present: Associate Professor of Geriatric Medicine; Director, Geriatrics Curriculum Thread; Associate Director, M3 Geriatrics/Palliative Care Clerkship, Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Boca Raton, FL
- 2015-Present: Geriatrician, Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Boca Raton, FL
- 2014-2015: Geratrician, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 2011-2013: Geriatrician, Maple Knoll Village Retirement Community, Cincinnati, OH
- 2007-2010: Family Physician/Geriatrician, Alliance Primary Care, Ruther Avenue Cincinnati, OH
- 2005-2006: Family Physician/Geriatrician, Wyoming Family Practice, Cincinnati, OH
- 2015-Present: Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Integrated Medical Science, Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Boca Raton, FL
- 2015-Present: Co-director, Geriatrics Thread, Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Boca Raton, FL
- 2015-Present: Co-director, Geriatrics and Palliative Care, Third Year Clerkship, Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Boca Raton, FL
- 2014-2015: Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Palliative Care, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 2008-2013: Associate Program Director, Geriatric Fellowship, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- 2005-2013: Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative, Geriatric Interprofessional Teaching Clinic (GITC), University of Kansas, September 2015.
- Bynum, D, Sehgal, M. “Outpatient Osteoarthritis/Low Back Pain (Mr. Smitherman)” WebGEM online teaching module, The Portal of Geriatrics Online Education, May 2014.
- Ellis, R, Sehgal, M and Tobias B. What’s Wrong with Mom (Dad)? Chronic Care Evaluation and Management of the Older Adult (and their Caregivers) with Alzheimer’s Dementia. Family Medicine Clerkship Best Practices, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. Published online 2012.
- Warshaw, GA, Modawal, A, Kues, J, Moore, I, Margolin,G , Sehgal,M , et.al. “Community Physician Education in Geriatrics: Applying the Assessing Care of Vulnerable Elders Model with a Multisite Primary Care Group” JAGS 2010 Sept 58: 1780-1785.
- Rao S, Cherukuri M, Mayo H, Sehgal M. “What is the best treatment for hypertension in African Americans?” J Fam Prac 2007 Feb;56(2):149-51
View Pubmed Feed ⇉
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Top Doctors, Cincinnati Magazine, 2011, 2012, 2013
- American Medical Directors Association Future Foundation Award Winner
- Susan U. Wager Teaching Award, 2004
- USACOM Outstanding Student in Family Practice, 2001
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Geriatrics Society
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Team STEPPS (Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety), Master Trainer, 2014
- University of Cincinnati Health Professions Education Collaborative, 2011
- C-Change, Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber of Commerce Young Professional Leadership Program, 2008-2009
- Slide Editor, Geriatrics Review Syllabus, Ninth Edition, 2015-present
- Peer Reviewer, MedEd Portal, 2016-present
- Peer Reviewer, Reichel’s Care of the Elderly, 2014
- Grant Reviewer, Hearst Chief Resident Immersion Training (CRIT), 2013
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS
- Bhattacharya, S. and Sehgal, M., co-prinicipal investigator, Learning Together, Working Together 2.0, KU Medical Alumni Innovative Teaching Fund, March 2015-February 2016 , $15,000.
- Bhattacharya, S. and Sehgal, M., co-prinicipal investigator, Learning Together, Working Together, KU Medical Alumni Innovative Teaching Fund, March 2014-February 2015, $15,000.
- D.Swagerty, MD, Principal Investigator, M.Sehgal, MD, Project Lead, 0.2 FTE from 1/2014-present. Kansas Reynolds Next Steps Program in Aging, Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, 7/2013 -6/2017, $1,000,000.
- Warshaw, G., PI, M. Sehgal, MD, Associate Project Director, Cincinnati Next Steps in Physicians' Training in Geriatrics, Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1/1/2011 - 12/31/14, $1,000,000.
- M. Sehgal, MD, Principal Investigator, Geriatric Academic Career Award, U.S. Bureau of Health Professions, 2010-2015, $374,955.
- Accepted for Presentation: Sehgal, M, Bhattacharya, S, Sabata, D, Burkhardt, C. “Teaching the Reluctant Learner in Interprofessional Geriatric Education: Strengthening Your Teaching Toolbox” a 90 minute workshop at the DW Reynolds Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, October 2016.
- Sehgal, M, Bhattacharya, S, Jernigan, S, Sabata, D, Johnston, K, Burkhardt, C. “Learning Together to Work Together: Creating a Curriculum for Interprofessional Education”, a 90 minute workshop presentation at the Collaborating Across Borders International Interprofessional Conference Annual Meeting, Roanoke, VA, September 2015
- Sehgal, M, Bhattacharya, S, Jernigan, S, Sabata, D, Burkhardt, C. "Learning Together Working Together: A novel clinical education model to build a collaborative ready workforce ", a 15 minute podium presentation at the Society for Teachers in Family Medicine Annual Spring Research Conference, Orlando, FL, April 2015.
- Sehgal, M, Haymon, C. “Geriatrics Focused Electronic Knowledge Based Resources” Round table presentation, STFM Annual meeting, San Antonio, TX, May 2014.
- Sehgal,M, Gazewood, J, Stiles, M. “Listen to Your Grandma: Best Practices in Geriatrics Curriculum.” Seminar at STFM Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2013