Dr. Benjamin A. Bensadon, Associate Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program’s Geriatrics & Palliative Care rotation, and Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science in the Department of Integrated Medical Science, Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, is a licensed clinical geropsychologist. He develops, implements, and evaluates training curricula in classroom and clinical settings for medical students, residents, and other health sciences trainees; has worked clinically in long-term care/geriatric rehabilitation, outpatient primary care, and specialty settings; and he conducts clinical and medical education research. He received his doctoral training at the University of Florida and completed a Postdoctoral Clinical Research Fellowship in the Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He is editor of a collaborative text co-written by physicians and psychologists titled Psychology and Geriatrics: Integrated Care for an Aging Population (Elsevier), and has co-authored book chapters on management decisions in mild cognitive impairment (Clinics in Geriatric Medicine) and geriatric neurology (Scientific American in press). Dr. Bensadon has published and lectured nationally and internationally.
- 1996: B.A., Psychology, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 1999: Certificate in Italian, Centro Linguistico Italiano, Florence, Italy
- 2001: Ed.M., Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 2001-2003: Non-degree student, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- 2007: M.S., Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2010: Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Biobehavioral & Social Research Training in Aging, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2010: Ph.D., Counseling Psychology University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2005: Sleep Therapist, Behavioral Sleep Medicine Laboratory, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2006: Counseling Practicum Student, Student Counseling Service, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2007-2009: Everyday Memory Clinic, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2007-2009: Psychology Intern, Family Stress Clinic, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, UF/Shands at AGH Family Medicine Residency Program, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
- 2010: Pre-doctoral Intern and Research Associate, Student Counseling Service, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- 2011-2012: Fellowship, Clinical Research, Department of Geriatric Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, OKC, OK
- 2011-2012: Fellowship, Clinical Geropsychology, Oklahoma City VAMC & Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, OKC, OK
- 2013-Present: Visiting Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science, Department of Integrated Medical Science, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- 2012-2013: Adjunct Instructor, Department of Geriatric Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK
- 2001-2003: Enrollment Services Liaison, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA;
- 1997-1998: Administrative Manager, Massachusetts Homes & Services for the Aging, Boston, MA
- 1996-1997: Mental Health Counselor, Bournewood Hospital, Brookline, MA
Representative Peer Review Publications
- Kumar C, Bensadon BA, Van Ness PH, Cooney LM. Curriculum on Resident Education in Care of Older Adults in Acute, Transitional and Extended Care Settings. Journal of Education and Training Studies 2016;4(9): 247-252.
- Hundt NE, Bensadon BA, Stanley MA et al. Coping mediates the relationship between disease severity and illness intrusiveness among chronically ill patients. Journal of Health Psychology, 2015;20(9):1186-95.
Bensadon BA, Qureshi SM. Therapeutic benefits of implementing an aging film series in a long term care facility. Annals of Long-Term Care: Clinical Care and Aging. 2015;23(8):33-39.
- Hennekens CH, Bensadon BA, Zivin R, Gaziano JM. Hypothesis: Glutaminyl cyclase inhibitors decrease risks of alzheimer's disease and related dementias. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 2015;15(11): 1245-1248.
- Gundersen E, Bensadon BA, Ouslander JG. Oxford Textbook of Geriatric Medicine 3rd ed.Transitions between care settings till death. Oxford (UK). Oxford University Press; 2015.
Bensadon BA. Maximizing treatment adherence: Physician-Patient Partnerships vs. Procedures. Hypertension 2014;63(2):e7
Bensadon BA, Odenheimer GL. Listening to our elders: a story of resilience and recovery. Patient Education and Counseling 2014;95(3):433-4.
Bensadon BA, Odenheimer GL. Understanding chronic disease: Student exposure to support groups. Medical Education 2014;48(5):526-7.
Bensadon BA, Teasdale TA, Odenheimer GL. Attitude adjustment: shaping medical student perceptions with a geriatrics curriculum. Academic Medicine 2013;88(11)
Bensadon BA, Odenheimer GL. Current management decisions in mild cognitive impairment. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine 2013;29(4):847-871.
Bensadon BA (Ed.). Psychology and Geriatrics: Integrated Care for an Aging Population. Elsevier, 2015.
View Pubmed Feed ⇉
- Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology
- Behavioral Medicine
- Palliative Medicine/End of Life
- Cognitive Impairment/Dementia
- Patient-Physician Communication
- Inter-professional Education
- Culture Change in Long Term Care
- Integrated/Biopsychosocial Healthcare
- Chronic Disease Self-Management
- Patient Adherence
- Medical Education/Simulation (OSCE)
- Medical Humanities
- Driving Assessment
- Support Groups
- Cultural Competence
- Healthy Aging
- 2015-2016: Leadership Scholar, Tideswell
- 2005-2009: Graduate Assistantship, University of Florida
- 2007: Departmental Travel Grant, Department of Psychology, University of Florida
- 2007: Graduate Student Council Travel Grant, University of Florida
- 2003: Outstanding Service Award, Harvard School of Public Health
- 2002: 75% Merit-based tuition scholarship, Ed.M., Boston University
- American Geriatrics Society
- Gerontological Society of America (Technology Chair, Emerging Scholars & Young Professionals, 2006-2007)
- American Psychological Association