Applying for Financial Aid
Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis. Students must reapply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Once the FAFSA data is received, the student’s aid eligibility will be determined. If additional information is needed, the student will be notified and processing will continue once the required documentation is provided.
Requirements for students who are applying for financial aid:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year
- Complete the FAFSA online at
- 2015‐2016 FAFSA application is available after January 1, 2014 and will utilize 2014 Tax Return Information. Apply as early as possible, whether admitted on the alternate list or awaiting an admissions decision.
The School Code for FAU is 001481.
- Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov .
- Additional documents should NOT be submitted unless requested. These items may include:
- Federal Verification Worksheet
- A copy of the Student’s 2013 Tax Transcript and W‐2 Forms
- Professional Judgment forms and documentation may be submitted for review due to special circumstances the student and/or student’s family may be experiencing (such as loss of employment, divorce, etc.)
- Federal Verification Worksheet
Requirements for students to receive Federal Student Loan funds:
- Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov under the Manage My Direct Loan tab. The MPN is completed once while you are at enrolled in the College of Medicine.
- Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov under the Manage My Direct Loan box. This requirement is completed once while you are enrolled in the College of Medicine
- Complete the Graduate PLUS Loan application at www.studentloans.gov under the Manage My Direct Loan tab.
- Complete the Graduate PLUS loan MPN and Entrance Counseling once your application is approved.
- Submit the Graduate PLUS Loan Addendum Form, found at http://med.fau.edu/students/financial_aid/pdf/2014-2015/2014-15%20Federal%20Direct%20Graduate%20PLUS%20Loan%20Addendum.pdf, to the Office of Medial Student Financial Aid.
- Complete the steps necessary to allow Direct Deposit of your financial aid funds.
- If you are/were in repayment on your Federal Student Loans and have not made payments for 270 days, your Federal Loans may be in default. If you are in default on any Federal Student Loan or you owe an overpayment on a Federal Grant, you will not be eligible for Federal Financial Aid until the default is cleared or the Grant overpayment has been repaid.
- Review your Federal Student Financial Aid History at www.nslds.gov.
Every first year medical student will be required to schedule an appointment with the Office of Medical Student Financial Aid to discuss the application and awarding processes, the cost of attendance, how to construct and live within a budget, and any other financial matters of interest or concern. This one-on-one meeting must be completed before the student may receive the Spring semester disbursement of Financial Aid (in January of the academic year).
- About the Center
- Specialized Training
- Professional Certification